Referral to Thuthukani

Learners who are in school:
Learners are referred to Thuthukani Special School via a formal referral process which is initiated by the class teacher and Principal of the referring school. The learner is initially referred to the Department of Education Circuit and District offices. Assessments are done by personnel in the District Office, and the learner may then be recommended for placement at Thuthukani Special School.

Learners who are not attending school:
Learners who are not attending school may be referred directly to Thuthukani, using the contact below.

Who should be referred?
Thuthukani accepts learners who have intellectual disability. Many of the learners at Thuthukani have additional disabilities such as Autism Spectrum Disorder, Down Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, Epilepsy, Deafness, Speech and hearing disorders, visual impairment and physical disability

What happens when we receive a referral?
Each learner that is referred to Thuthukani is screened by an occupational therapist to establish the learner's ability, relative developmental age and school progress. The child's parents are consulted and advised of the program at Thuthukani. The school nurse assesses the child's general health and assists the parents to access relevant social grants that may be available to the disabled child.
All suited candidates’ names are placed on a waiting list.

When a suited space opens, and the learner is admitted to Thuthukani, he/she will be placed in a class with learners of similar age and functional ability. After a four week period, the team, which includes the class educator, occupational therapist, parent (where possible) and other involved parties, will meet again to discuss the learner's placement, make adjustments, and develop the learner's individual learning program.

If you need to refer a learner to Thuthukani please follow one of the processes below:
  1. If your child is in school please contact the respective principal, and they will follow the referral process as stipulated by the Department of Education.
  2. If your child is not in school please contact us here.
  3. For any other assistance please contact us here.